- Public Works
- Solid Waste
Solid Waste, Bulk-Pick Up and Recycling in Miramar
Waste Collection Rates
Effective May 1, 2022 the monthly residential sanitation rate will increase from $18.75 to $30.46.
Please note that there is no change to:
- The method of payment of your bill - it will be included in monthly utility bill
- The services provided (recycle, bulk and garbage pickup)
Rate Change Overview
Miramar's monthly waste collection rate has not changed for over 11 years. The rising cost of products, labor and services no longer makes this sustainable at the existing rate. This rate adjustment is necessary to offset the increased costs associated with waste collection.
The new rate is inline with what neighboring cities pay for waste collection with the added bonus that Miramar is not placing limits on bulk pick-up.
The waste collection fee will continue to be included in your monthly water/utility bill. You will continue to see it listed as "Residential Sanitation".
For more information please call 954-602-HELP (4357)
There is no change in your garbage pick-up schedule. Garbage pick-up is twice a week on your designated collection day. Please place your green garbage cart out by 7am on the day of collection in a safe and accessible location away from mailboxes, vehicles and trees.
Here are some tips for successful and efficient garbage pickup:
- Bag and tie garbage before placing it in the cart.
- Do not over pack your cart so tightly that it will not empty.
- Trash placed alongside the carts or in non-city issued containers will not be collected.
- The arrows located on the lid should face the street
- The lid must be closed so nothing spills out during the collection process.
- DO NOT place anything on top of the lid, the driver will not empty the cart.
- All carts must be accessible and placed away from mailboxes, vehicles and trees for collection by 7 a.m. on the day of collection.
Green Garbage Carts
The City of Miramar in collaboration with Waste Pro of Florida will be replacing all residential green garbage carts beginning Monday October 3rd through mid-November. To receive your new green trash cart, simply leave your old green cart at the curb on every scheduled collection day, even if it is empty until your cart is replaced. Every residential home will receive a new cart during this replacement period. If you have any questions, please call 954-602-HELP or 954-967-4200.
If you have a damaged cart or need additional carts, email email@example.com or call (954) 602.4357 (HELP).
Recycling remains the same – blue recycle carts will be collected once per week on your regularly scheduled collection day. Please your blue recycle cart out by 7am on the day of collection in a safe and accessible location away from mailboxes, vehicles and trees.
Here are some tips to Recycle Right in Miramar
- Here are some items you can recycle - plastic bottles, cardboard boxes, junk mail, file folders, newspapers, glass and milk containers, cereal boxes
- When in doubt throw it out – do not recycle plastic bags, pizza boxes, styrofoam, aerosol cans, batteries, toys, tires, electronics, diapers, ceramics and anything that has food on it.
- Remove bottle caps and place both separately in the recycle bin
Visit www.miramarfl.gov/recycle to learn more on how to recycle right.
Blue Recycle Garbage Carts
Over the next 6 months, your blue recycle cart will be replaced during a regularly scheduled collection day.
if you have a damaged cart or need additional carts, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (954) 602.4357 (HELP).
Bulk Waste Pick-Up
Bulk pick will continue to be collected once per month between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Some bulk zone collection days will change to create a more evenly distributed and manageable collection zone(s), promoting more regular and reliable service. We will provide advanced notice of any changes in your collection day.
Please click here for information on Bulk Collection changes, rules, and collection maps: Bulk-Collection or visit our FAQs.
Bulk pickup DOs and DONT's :
- Bulk must be a result of normal household activity.
- Bulk piles should be neatly placed in a location that allows safe collection - away from cars, mailboxes, trees, and overhead wires.
- Contractor Generated Waste will not be collected
- Tree limbs and trunks should not exceed 6 feet' in length or 50 weigh more than 50 pounds.
- Piles of leaves or other loose material must be placed in plastic bags and weigh no more than 50 lbs.
- Mirrors, glass, glass tabletops, windowpanes, and plate glass items must be safely placed in a rigid container and taped for safe collection.
- Do not place Bulk items out for collection more than 72 hours before your designated collection day.
- Unacceptable items will not be moved in order to collect acceptable items.
- Bulk items of a disorderly or hazardous nature will not be collected.
- Do not place bulk items for collection next to mailbox, utility pole or close to a fence.
Bulk Waste Disposal Alternatives
The Broward County Landfill
|Waste Delivered by Residential Customers in Passenger Vehicles, or Trucks with beds 6 feet or less is $10 per vehicle.|
Hours of operation are Monday through Saturday, 8am to 4pm
The City of Miramar offers FREE monthly drop-off events for hazardous materials on the first Saturdays monthly at: 17200 Pines Blvd. between 8am and 2pm. Please bring a driver’s license and proof of Miramar residency, remain in your vehicle and follow all safety protocols.
For more information, click here Version OptionsSolid Waste, Bulk-Pick Up and Recycling in MiramarHeadline or call (954) 602-4357 (HELP).
Contractor Generated Waste
Any debris determined to be Contractor Generated Waste will not be collected. Debris generated by a hired contractor should be removed by the contractor working at your home. Please be advised that if the bulk pile becomes a health and safety concern, the City will remove the debris, and pursue a Code Enforcement case against the property to recover all associated costs.
• Unacceptable Items include: roofing material, tile, concrete, bricks, stones, automotive body parts, engines, transmissions, batteries, used oil, paint, insecticides, chemicals and hazardous waste will not be collected.
• Do not place items in front of a vacant lot or home, they will not be collected. This is considered illegal dumping and subject to prosecution.
Remodeling your home or performing a clean-up - Waste Pro offers special curbside collection or 10, 20, 30, or 40-yard containers. Call (954) 967-4200 for cost estimate.
* If you experience a “missed pick-up” on your collection day, or have any questions please call Waste Pro at - (954) 967-4200 or call 954-602-HELP (4357).
* For disposal of household appliances containing Freon gas or other types of Refrigerant (A/C, refrigerators), the compressor unit must be purged of Freon gas by a certified professional. The release of Freon Gas presents an environmental hazard to the atmosphere. Units not certified and documented with a placard on the item as being purged of Freon gas will not be picked up.
* Residents who missed their allocated bulk pick-up date and would like to schedule a special pickup may do so by contacting Waste Pro at 954-967-4200. Please be advised that a pick-up charge will apply.
*For more information about bulk collections rules and schedules, please call our Customer Service Line at (954) 602.4357 (HELP).